Sunday, February 3, 2008

Assignment II

Have you ever had an experience that you just can’t explain? I have. I’ve tried to come up with a logical explanation, but simply put- I can’t. My inexplicable experience happened in 1998. From 1997 to 1999, I lived in Puerto Rico for work. I lived in Guyanilla in a portion of a large home called the “Castillo de Mario Mercado” (Mario Mercado’s Castle).


Don Mario Mercado Montalvo (1855-1937) was one of the biggest “sugar barons” on the southern coast of Puerto Rico. He ran the “Hacienda Rufina” sugar cane mill in Guyanilla from 1901 until his death. During the early 1900s, sugar was “king” and those who owned sugarcane fields were making money hand over fist. Mercado commissioned Francisco Porrata Doria, a “famous” Puerto Rican architect, to design this house in 1930. The ~30,000 square foot concrete & stucco house was atop a large hill that overlooked all his sugar fields. After his death, the family abandoned the home and it fell into ruin. It was used as a party spot in the 1970s & 80s for local teenagers who would have bonfires on the roof. They would use the mahogany floors and trim as firewood, and otherwise trashed the place. However, in the late 80s, a man from Oklahoma was brought to run a nearby petroleum facility and he saw the Castillo as a diamond in the rough. He renovated the home bit by bit and eventually made a total of 4 apartments.

Mercado had the distinction of being known as a tyrant and a miser, supposedly would watch for workers to take a break, and he would fire them, often after a beating. Mercado was supposedly just as rough on his children. Locals say that his son was homosexual, and Mercado could not accept this. I’ve heard two rumors regarding his son… one is that Mercado murdered him because of his lifestyle (supposedly he buried the son in the drivers seat of his Dusenberg car somewhere on the property to conceal the crime), and the other is that his son committed suicide by leaping from the top of the Castillo.

There are two other deaths surrounding the home… Mrs. Mercado was in poor health at the time the Castillo was completed. She is rumored to have died an unpleasant death in her bed, without any consolation from Mercado. Another is that Mercado had taken a fancy to a young woman who worked as a cook at the Castillo. The two versions that I heard regarding this woman is that she did not welcome his advances and he killed her. The other is that she died while giving birth to his child. The wife of new owner of the Castillo told me she saw this ghost several times… and always in the area where the original kitchen was located. I didn’t believe her and discounted her experience as her being from England, where they seem to be more apt to believe in the metaphysical.

Now to my experience: If you’ve ever been to Puerto Rico, outside of Old San Juan and the other tourist areas, you’ve no doubt seen that there is a real problem with stray dogs. At the Castillo, the owners had 11 dogs and my husband & I had another two. Two of their “alpha” dogs, Spike & Beauregard, would always try to attack my little sheltie mix, so I would have to tie up Beau & Spike every time I would take my dog out. One night while my husband & I were the only ones at the Castillo, I took these two big, brave dogs down to be chained up. Halfway down the stairs, I heard a noise that I can’t explain. It was almost like someone laughing mischievously… heeheeheehee… coming from the laundry room. The dogs bolted back up the stairs- and I followed right behind them! These two dogs were very aggressive toward anyone that they didn’t know, so this was very out of character for them to flee. To this day, I cannot explain what happened. I wouldn’t say that I believe in ghosts, but I still have no logical explanation for what I heard.




9 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in Ponce, very close to the Castle, and didn't have an idea of the history of that place I saw abandoned for so many years. In searching the internet for some info about Mr. Mario Mercado, I saw your story. Very interesting. Thanks for that little piece of history.

Unknown said...

Wow. I hesitate a bit to offer you maybe some better info than you got, as it seems you are more into the fantasy than the history. Try this:

http://www.guayanillapr.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=51&Itemid=198

Mario Mercado Montalvo died in 1936
his son, Mario Mercado Jr. (Riera) died 1975
his grandson, Mario Mercado III (Parra) died 1952, in New York. It was front page news. Not buried in a car anywhere...

Anonymous said...

This good for me to see this posting because i am the great great granddaughter of Mario Mercado Montalvo and i have never hear this horrific fantasy story

Unknown said...

Christ. "Eileen", you like pretending too? I happen to know the real Eileen, she is the granddaughter of MM II. She speaks English, verb conjugations and all. What the hell is wrong with you ?

Eileen Darisse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LatinLady said...

Hello, everyone. Mario Mercado Montalvo was the cousin of my great grandfather, Ramon Mercado Gonzalez (1866-1920). The family originated/lived in the Barrios of Mirasol & Bartolo, Lares, Puerto Rico. When Ramon passed away, Mario was good enough to offer my great grandmother a house in a better location but she declined, citing that she had precious memories in her little house in Barrio Segundo, Ponce. If anyone reads this, is of the same lineage, and would like to discuss family genealogy, please post your interest here and I will followup with you by email. I am particularly interested in making the pre-1860s connection to the family surname outside of Puerto Rico. I have not been able to make that connection due to the island's limited records. Thanks much!

Warning: All spam will be forwarded to the FCC.

Unknown said...

The architecture of the castle in Guayanilla is very similar to a beautiful home in El Vigia in Ponce where Eileen Mercado (Coffey) lived. Were they designed by the same architect?

Unknown said...

Hmmmm!...interesting story..I'm curious what was the name of the worker who was pregnant?..my grandmother Pascuala Camacho,was adopted by Mario Mercado she first worked for him she never met her mother who passed away. If you know more info., please contact me janetortizb@aol.com

Unknown said...

Hi I am interested in this family as I have had a dna test and there is a match.
Be great to share some information.
Sandra