Sunday, January 20, 2008

Intro/Self Portrait

A little about me- I'm a "non-traditional student" who has recently returned to classes after a 10-year hiatus. UNCG's BLS program has given me the opportunity to get finally start working towards a degree without giving up my job or just picking some random major from some all online school. I’m originally from Pennsylvania, but have moved 9 times in 12 years, and currently live just north of Charlotte, NC on Lake Norman. I threw anchor and think this is finally HOME. I’ve been married for 12 years to my wonderful hubby, and with our 2 dogs & 1 "hellcat", and my work with the Federal Government, I have a great life!

As far as my concerns for popular culture, I think that it's mostly I'm concerned about how jaded we, as a society, have become. Extreme just doesn't seem very extreme anymore. I think many people in the public eye are always trying to take things just one more step... whether it be jumping a motorcycle the length of a football field, wearing the most revealing clothing, or doing the most outrageous actions- people are always trying to grab another 2 seconds of fame/glory... even if it's negative attention. Think about it this way… why should we give a fat rat’s @ss about Paris Hilton or Anna Nicole Smith? What have they contributed to society? Nothing of substance, in my opinion. Although I must admit to being a “Simple Life” junkie… watching Paris & Nicole talking people into doing the most outrageous things was just hysterical to me! But that just goes to show the extent that people will go to be “famous”.

No comments: